Yield: 15 servings(depending on size cut) Cooking time: 55 minutes
- 4 granny smith or green apples (1 shredded and 3 diced, small)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
- dash of all spice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1-2 sheet pastry dough (phyllo), slightly thawed
- 1 egg, wash
- Parchment paper
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s Sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp water
- Preheat oven to 400ºF
- Peel and decor the apples. Place in water not to brown. Begin to grate 1 apple and set aside (work fast to prevent oxidation), cut the 3 remaining apples into small dice.
- Drain the water from the apples and add the sugar nutmeg, all spice, vanilla, and lemon juice and mix until all is incorporated. Set aside
- Remove the pastry dough from the package and place on parchment paper, begin to roll out the dough 16″ inch x 13″ inch in size. Begin to add the apples from the top center to the bottom center leaving about 1″ inch from each end.
- Begin to fold the top and bottom ends, then fold in one side and second side over. Use a pastry brush to seal the end (try tucking the seal at the bottom of the strudel to hide any flaws). Begin making slits on the top to release steam.
- Brush the pastry with egg wash (1 scrambled egg + 1 tbsp of milk) and refrigerate for 20 minutes before baking.
- Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool off before adding the glaze.
- Meanwhile, add the sugar, lemon juice, water and vanilla extract in a bowl and whisk until the sugar becomes slightly thick (not hard) and begin to drizzle over the strudel. Slice and serve alone or with your favorite ice cream.
- Happy Eating!