Yield: 10 servings Cooking time: 1 hr 10 minutes
- 1 (16.5 oz) box white cake mix (your preference)
- 14 oz bag of sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tbsp coconut extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Parchment paper
- Cooking spray
- Buttercream, recipe below
- Maraschino cherries, for garnish
Buttercream: about 5 cups
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 tbsp clear vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 6 tbsp of milk
- 2 lbs of confectioners sugar
- In bowl of electric mixer, add the cake mix in bowl (ignore the box instructions), egg whites, milk, oil, and extracts with a paddle attachment, mix until all of the ingredients are combined and there are no lumps. Then with a rubber spatula fold in 6 ounces of coconut flakes.
- Cut parchment paper and place in center of 9″ inch round pans and lightly spray each. Begin to add the cake mix evenly in both pans. Place on top of oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Set on wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, add the butter, shortening and sugar in mixer of electric bowl with a paddle attached and mix until creamy and fluffy. Then add the extracts and the sugar in increments of three. Once all the sugar is added, begin to add the milk one tablespoon at a time to reach the consistency desired.
- Once cake is completely cool, begin to frost or decorate the cake and add remaining coconut on the outer layer of the cake. Pipe rosettes on the top of the cake and add a maraschino cherry to each.
- Viola! Happy Eating!
NOTE: Each cake was cut in half and frosted with buttercream and coconut flakes before decorating. This cake has been a hit in my family for decades.