Photo by Jonathan Silva
Yield: 20-30 servings Cooking time: 2 hrs 30 minutes Heart pans: 6″ inch & 8″ inch
- 2 boxes of your favorite cake mix
- 2 cups of flour, sifted
- 1 cup sugar, sifted
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk (whole or skim)
- 2 small box of instant pudding (your preference)
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup shortening
- 4 lbs. of confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 8 tbsp milk or water
- food gel or coloring desired
- Preheat oven to 375ºF (190º C) degrees.
- In bowl of electric mixer, add all the dry ingredients (sifted). Then follow the instructions on the cake box but substitute the water for milk and add all of the ingredients above; with a paddle attachment on low speed begin to mix until all the ingredients are well incorporated and there are no lumps (about 1-2 minutes) and raise the speed to medium-low for another 1-2 minutes. Be careful not to over mix, which will cause the cake to tunnel (creates holes in center of cake, which would cause the cake to sink and or dry out).
- Add the cake batter in heart shape pans (if you don’t have heart shape pans, bake them in 2 square pans and 2 round pans). Bake cake for about 25-35 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, begin to make the buttercream. In a bowl of electric mixer with paddle attachment on medium speed, mix the butter and shortening until fluffy and pale yellow. Add the vanilla and mix on low speed, then gradually begin to add the sugar in increments of three (increase speed to medium during each increment and scrape down the bowl). Then add the milk one tablespoon at a time until you reach the consistency desired.
- Make the flowers and place in refrigerator until ready to decorate your cake.
- Happy Eating!
NOTE: Wait until the cakes are completely cooled before you begin to decorate. To shape the heart without heart pans: take 1 round cake and cut in half and place each piece on sides of 1 square cake. Use buttercream as glue to attach the pieces. Viola! You have a heart. Now begin to decorate.