Yield: 5 lbs Prep time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 40-45 minutes
- 2.5 lb of beef stew, medium diced
- 4 carrots, medium diced
- 4 celery stalks, medium diced
- 3 large potatoes, medium diced
- 1 can (8 oz) Goya tomato sauce
- 4 tbsp Mama’s Sofrito
- 1 cup vinegar
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper for taste
- Wash the beef stew thoroughly and place in shallow bowl. Add the water and vinegar, stir and let sit about 2-3 minutes. This helps remove the blood and also tenderize the meat.
- Meanwhile, wash and cut the vegetables and set aside.
- Remove the water from the beef stew and rinse the meat once again to remove the excess vinegar and add in pot. Season with oregano, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Put on stove in medium-low and begin to add the sofrito and stir to combine all (the aroma is enticing). Add the vegetables and stir. Then add the tomato sauce, salt and pepper, stir entirely. Cover with aluminum foil and lid and let cook until the vegetables and meat are soft and tender (about 35-40 minutes).
- Goes great with white rice, roasted potatoes, or just about anything.
- Happy Eating!
NOTE: There’s no need to add oil as the beef stew will produce its own oil to help tenderize it.