Yield: 30 Mini biscotti Prep and Cook Time: 1 hr 20 min
- 3 cups all-purpose flour + more for dusting
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1-1/2 tbsp Nutella™
- 1 cup pistachios, crushed
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (176ºC) degrees. Remove the pistachios from the its shell and place on sheet pan over parchment paper and roast in oven for 10 minutes. In a chopper or food processor begin to chop the pistachios (consistency is your preference).
- In a bowl of electric mixer with a paddle attachment, add all of the dry ingredients and mix on low speed to incorporate all.
- In a separate bowl add all the wet ingredients and whisk until all is combined. With electric mixer on low speed, gradually add the egg mixture and raise speed to medium until all is combined. Then begin to add the pistachio (reserve a little for garnish) and mix. Be careful not to over mix. The dough will be sticky, that’s ok.
- On a clean work surface dusted with flour add the dough and begin to roll until all comes together. Cut the dough in half and shape both half into logs and place each on a sheet pan over parchment paper and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool off about 10 minutes. Then with a serrated knife, cut the ends off on both baked doughs. Then, cut the baked dough diagonally about 1/4 inch along its width and place each biscotti back on the sheet pan flat. Put back in oven to bake for about 10-15 minutes on each side to completely dry the cookies. Remove from oven once baked on both sides and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Over a baine marie (double boiler) begin to melt the chocolate. Dip the bottom surface of the biscotti in chocolate then add the crushed pistachio and place back on the parchment paper to completely dry.
- Happy Eating!
NOTE: If you are allergic to nuts you can replace the pistachios (and Nutella™) with dried fruits or chocolate morsels or just leave as is. For a crunchier cookie you can bake the biscotti about 20 minutes on each side versus 10 minutes displayed above. The consistency of the cookie is your preference.