Yield: 6 Steaks Prep and Cooking Time: 1 hr
- 6 thin beef steaks
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 green peppers, julienne
- 2 medium onions, julienne
- 1 can (8oz) tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp Mama’s Sofrito (Puerto Rican Mirepoix), optional
- Rose’s Meat Rub
- 3 tbsp of Olive Oil + more for sautéing
- salt and pepper to taste
- Season the steaks with Rose’s Meat Rub and set aside (See Note below).
- In a large sauce pan, add the 3 tbsp of olive oil and let heat before adding the garlic. Let the garlic cook until lightly brown. Then add the onions and let cook until translucent. Lastly, add the peppers and let cook until softened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In another skillet, add olive oil (enough to coat the bottom of the pan), let oil heat before adding the steaks. Let the steak sauté on each side for about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place the sauce pan with the pepper/onion/garlic mix back on the stove on medium-low heat and add Mama’s Sofrito (Puerto Rican Mirepoix), tomato sauce and water. Mix well to incorporate, then add the salt and pepper for taste. Add the steaks and all of its juices, lower the heat to low, cover and let cook for about 5-7 or until tender.
- Serve with mash potatoes, rice, baked potato, or in a sandwich.
- Happy Eating!
NOTE: For a tender and soft steak add them in a shallow bowl filled with water and vinegar, cover and let sit for about and hour. The vinegar helps loosen the meat making it tender.